Saturday 27 December 2014

I've Had Enough Of It Now .... Too Much Sitting Around ..Onwards and Upwards With The Thrifty Crusade.!


Hello there ... 
Hope the festive few days was all you had hoped it would be.

We had a nice break .. nice company .. nice food .. all very nice.

(Do you like my pretty Christmas Roses ... a little Christmas Day posy from a Gentleman friend .. blooming like crazy in his garden...)

But to be honest .. I've had enough of it .. there is only so much sitting around a Girl can do ... 
I find it all a bit boring.




 So this morning I took down the Christmas cards .. lots of pretty ones this year .. such a waste just to put them in the recycling bin.

How about a Thrifty Snippet .... not had one for a few weeks ... 
and I know we all love Thrifty Snippets...


 I cut the front of the card from the backs .. 
and any part of the design/picture that lends itself to a Gift Tag shape ... is cut into a gift tag.



I found a bit of odd blue embroidery thread and poked some through the 'tags' ready for attaching to next years gifts.
I only cut a few tags .. enough for next year .. 
And the rest of the scrap card ... backs of cards etc .. any plain blank pieces I keep for my shopping lists and whatnot. 
I find they are an ideal size to slip in my bag .. and sturdier .. they don't crumple up in the bottom of the bag as flimsy paper has a habit of doing. 

Me .. being me .. and a bit 'obsessive' as Hubby P would have it .. or 'careful' ... as I like to think.
I have a list in my hand as I shop and as I put things in the trolley I write the price on my list and add up as I go along .. stiff card is easier to use/write on than paper.

After all I have only so much money in my purse .. my intention was to spend just X amount .. 
so a Girl has to do her sums ... 
or else a Girl ends up in a right pickle with her money ...ha ha!

So Thrifty it is folks .. lets try and hit the New Year running .. with as few a debts as possible ..
New Year.. New start ...

So lets share our Thrifty Snippets .. and aim for a Healthier and Wealthier New Year...

XX

15 comments:

  1. Love your gift tags. I am going to do the same. New year, more saving and very little spending. Have avoided the sales, and do not need to food shop as house full..
    Tempted to take decs down but family will not let me.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I relate to every single paragraph!
    I didn't put too many decs up this year so they won't take long to take down. The cards are already in a pile awaiting my pinking shears

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also snip the x-mas cards. I design new ones with the snipped bits and use others for tags, too.
    I shall dispose of the deccies by next weekend as I have no time to do so afterwards when I shall be back at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also make tags out of our cards. Shop bought are hardly big enough to write a name and a message on. Made plenty for this year and will do the same for next year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cards go the same way, and I also ad my shopping up as I fill the basket or trolley. No sales battles for me, the Charity Shops will be full as feckless folks throw out perfectly good things to make room for their bargains. I did not go overboard on food but still have plenty to feed me for a while. I am looking forward to getting back to the normal routines and rhythms of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do the same thing, add things up as I go along, keeping the cards or that purpose is a great idea, , sturdier to write on!! The roses are beautiful my my, I can't wait till late June for ours to bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do this too, too pretty just to toss!
    I usually do my sums in my head, I should write them down!!! Yes!
    Any other cards I happen to get through out the year, I turn into book marks, to give and keep.
    Hope to see more of your posts!
    Our trees will stay up until next weekend, my husband's choice.
    Any cure for a white vinyl tree that is probably 18 or 20 years old, and too yellow with age to reuse again?
    It looks pretty at night, but not during the day,It would take too much spray to paint it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go with the flow and decorate it with gold tinsel and yellow and gold decorations next year? Or look out for cans of Christmassy spray paint - silver, gold or white and sparkly - in the sales, snap up a few and give spray painting a go. If you could get them for a really good price it might be worth the experiment and if you did it outside (so you didn't gas yourself!) and sprayed lightly in short bursts it might take less paint than you would think. Tracy

      Delete
  8. I love these Thrifty Snippets, they remind me I'm in good company :-) I too have been recycling my cards that way for more years than I care to remember. We were just laughing the other day when I pulled out a piece of card with a shopping list written on it and adding up on the back from a coat pocket, I had 't worn the coat since last winter!!
    Next year we will definitely be scrimping and saving and making do just like the last 40 years...its all great fun and the rewards are more than worth it :-). Heres wishing you a brilliant 2015 xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, making gift tags out of the cards is a great idea! I would have never thought of that. Thank you!
    Wishing you a creative, inspiring, prosperous New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats just what I often do, tags and shopping list cards......cards, as you say, are much better than paper for lists, I add it all up too, we could be related ! Happy New Year to you and yours ! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, thank you so much for more thrifty ideas. I've managed to get next year's wrapping paper in the sales (6 x 3 metre rolls for £1 the lot) but didn't see any suitably reduced gift tags, so now I will make my own from the greetings cards. I also love your idea for jotting down all the prices as you go round the shop. I usually try and keep count in my head but still manage to get the total wrong at the checkout (and yes, I do check my till receipt every time to make sure there are no mistakes). As long as I've been trying to live frugally there's always something new to learn from others.

    ReplyDelete
  12. But to be honest .. I've had enough of it .. there is only so much sitting around a Girl can do ...
    I find it all a bit boring.

    Oh you are a girl after my own heart. My cards are down too. Yes I reuse mine too, for shopping lists. As you say, easier to write on and cross things off, due to their stiffness. I sometimes use the front to stick on a blank card, if I see one which I know will appeal to another friend or family member.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me too!
    I'm taking down my cards too, they will be snipped etc, some into a tag box, some into making new cards box, the rest shredded for chicken bedding, apart from the ones with lots of glitter or red card, the chickens eat red things!
    May 2015 be a good year for you and yours! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year to you and your Hubby Victoria x
    I will be doing the same with the cards.
    Keep thrifting x

    ReplyDelete

I do so like to read your thoughts and my blogg-y doings ... Thankyou for leaving a comment.