Friday 4 October 2013

A Riot Of Colour ... In Its Own Quiet Autumnal Way!


Hello there ...
After a rain drenched night things picked up a little by mid morning .... so I played out in the garden for a bit.



 The leaves are turning ... and the colours are just lovely ... a last vibrant blast before the cold dreary months of winter.



 Just look at this teeny tiny leaf caught by its much bigger brother ...as it fluttered to the ground.


Pretty colours...


 And fascinating shapes and sizes
 .... all make up the natural world.


 I had a good sweep up of the brown slimy leaves ... useful for the garden when broken down ... all that goodness .... but lethal on my paths. 
It takes little for me to fall over without the hazard of slippy leaves ... so I think this will be only the first of many trugs of leaves I will be sweeping up.


And here we see the promise of things to come
 ... little parcels of delight ... seeds for new strong plants ... to delight us once again.



I roped Hubby P into helping me move this grass ... I know it as Gardeners Gaiters.
This stripy little number speaks to me of 'Home' .... when I was growing up it was one of the things that grew with great gusto (rampant) in a somewhat difficult environment  up on the Pennine moors.
It has taken me years to get it to 'do' ... to grow here in my garden ( I don't know why .. just one of those things). 
Anyway we are planning on having a new fence where the grass grew ... so I needed to move the grass and keep it safe ... I know ... a bit silly perhaps.
 I thought the old tin bath would be a good idea ... the grass would look good against the green of the cabin .. and if/when the grass gets really going (rampant ?) the bath will keep it in check.

Don't we put a lot of thought into this gardening business 
 ... do you ponder on such things?
 ... should I put my energies .. my mind to other more worldly issues? ... I don't know whats going on in Syria.
Is that a bad thing 
.... I just can't cope with caring for all the world ... and my garden is my escape.


Speaking of escape .... Hubby P decided the way to get the remainder of the apples from the tree was to whack them off with the washing line prop/stick thingy.
'Get ready' he would say ... as he got ready to whack a great big apple ...and it would come thundering down through the tree.

If he thinks I am standing under it trying to 'catch' ... hes sadly mistaken thought I !
One of those missiles would knock me for six.

I've never been any good as a 'catcher' ... anything to do with chasing balls around a court or pitch ... shrieking at other girls ... not really my strong point .
Show me a kitchen ... I will cook for you ... I will sew for you... nurse you ... listen to you and counsel ... but don't ask me to risk life and limb catchin an apple!

So all the apples were bruised and battered through falling heavily on the ground ... so I've just finished peeling and chopping .... more in the freezer and more jelly on the way.

Perhaps I should have tried harder at the Hockey!

Bye for now x




8 comments:

  1. I enjoy my visits here so much, I wish you would write everyday, lol!
    My hubby made an apple picker with a broom stick and a tin can, actually it was not a broom stick it was just a long piece of wood, he would cup the apple and then work at it to break the stem.
    My failed lemon loaf tasted fine, we ate it no matter the look, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely pictures from your garden, all that natural colour, shape and form. I love Autumn leaves, they are falling from the big maple trees up at the farm these days, bright yellow. The boys rake them up into big heaps and the drive through them (using anything on wheels, plastic tractor, bicycle, old pram under wheels thing etc.) with loud shrieks of joy. You know, l think everyone needs an escape, l don't keep up with world news every day either but catch up from time to time. Pottering in a garden gives such peace doesn't it, makes stressed shoulders drop and lets one live life at a slower pace (i.e. when there aren't apples flying throuh the air though :-) ). Have a lovely day, Pam xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts are like buses, they all come at once :)
    Lovely pics missus, the boys are out fixing the bl**dy car, I'm off to peel apples in a moment. Have a lovely weekend. Give our love to hubby P.
    Twiggy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am now making myself get back in the garden. Like meeting up with an old friend. Catching up on what it has been up to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I post that I can relate too, having lost my garden retreat I yearn for another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely apples in your post! Pies, sauce, crumble...yum!
    Lots of autumn color here..red and yellow maples are spectacular!
    I look everyday for a new post from you..enjoy hearing what you are up to...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our poor apple tree is poorly sick so I miss the apples this year. I know what you mean about escaping from the horrors of the outside world, you can't possibly do anything About it anyway and you need to look after yourself and those close to you to be able to have the strength to think about the sad plight of others.
    Think I'm waffling now, sorry! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just catching up on your latest posts. What lovely photos you take!
    I too have the "shall I process this mountain of apples/ sweet corn/ beans etc etc or play on the sewing machine" choice. I have been good so far, but it really is calling me now, especially after seeing your waste not want not towels and all things handy!
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete

I do so like to read your thoughts and my blogg-y doings ... Thankyou for leaving a comment.