Wednesday, 25 March 2009

Oh' to be Fashioable for once!

Just a couple of pics of the pretty little tablecloth I picked up at the carboot sale yesterday. Its immaculate - must have sat in someones drawer, only used for 'best' occasionally!
Sharie from View to the Hill asked for a pic or two of the cloth, she's another of us,that can't walk past a pretty bargain!
The work on the cloth is amazing. Its a square cloth, but difficult to get a good photo of all of it - I had it on the washing line,but it was blowing so furiously a photo was impossible!







And I found this inside a magazine - Times supplement I think. I just had to show you - it seems all of us thrifty - wont throw any scraps away - unpicking and saving lovely old vintage fabrics - Well! we are the height of fashion!
'Everything comes around' as my Grannie use to say!






I should have photographed the whole article really - but basically its saying 'who has the time to make like Martha Stewart and hunt down the darlingest swatches of fabric' - to make your patchwork quilt.
It suggests you cheat by buying and I quote 'Worn and Washed reclaimed fabrics' sourced from charity shops, laundered and cut to size - Liberty is offering colour co-ordinated swatches of fabric in bundles. Small size £32.50 and large £69.95!? (It doesn't say how many in a bundle!)
I tell you it made me look again at my box of fabric scraps!




So today I spent another couple of hours sorting through the boxes of fabric and putting together fat quarter sized pieces to go on ebay - I would be happy with a fraction of Liberty's prices!


~~~ xxx ~~~



10 comments:

  1. Make do and mend is the new designer....we are all trendy bendy!

    Have a super evening, i love the tablecloth...delightful!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the table cloth.And yesterdays post about you sweet morris minor, i am so envious i would so love one of them.The car boot sales here is just starting to get busy,and on Friday night i get to help set up for a jumble sale on the Saturday and i get first pick i will try and be good.~Kate~

    ReplyDelete
  3. the table cloth looks lovely! Josie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your tablecloth, you were very lucky to find one in such good condition. BTW, 1962 was an excellent year - you, me, Dixie - all excellent productions.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  5. That tablecloth is a serious piece of treasure. I am at my Mum's house and guess what I'm going home with? My Gran's sewing machine! I have a stash of precious bits and pieces - pretty tops with irreparable holes, tots' clothes, old curtains. It's a whole new era - I'm very very excited! I don't think I would have been half so excited had I not been a blogger - it's wonderful to see such GORGEOUS things made from recycled fabric, just like our Grans used to do. It's a serious inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a lovely tablecloth!! Thanks for putting close ups on your blog, I was dying to see it.
    I've got a 'thing' about rescuing whitework tablecloths with crochet or drawn threadwork whenever I see them. Its criminal when they are left chucked in a heap on the floor...
    I'd better shut up I could go on forever on this subject :-)

    Did you see Sairers blog at Vintage Pretty Shabby she shows some tablecloths that sold for hundreds of pounds recently on ebay?

    ReplyDelete
  7. delightful find.... so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a little something over at my blog, pop over to see!
    Love
    Lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely tablecloth, I couldn't have left it behind either!

    I love the fabric you have too, something I keep meaning to do but never quite get around to, sorting fabric that "goes", though I have plenty *blush*

    Love and blessings
    xxxxxxxxx

    ps. How's the little robin doing???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the tablecloth, it is beautiful!!! I will have to go to car boot sales earlier!!!

    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete

I do so like to read your thoughts and my blogg-y doings ... Thankyou for leaving a comment.